Note - minecraft has to be run directly on the Pi, it wont work from ssh or via a desktop viewer e.g. TightVNC.
By far the best thing about the Minecraft: Pi edition (other than it being free) is the api which allows you to interact with the world in real time. Ive created a few posts / tutorials / interesting things about the Minecraft API:
- Minecraft - API - The basics - an basic introduction into the Minecraft API, its functions and how to use it.
- Minecraft - API - Tutorial - an in-depth look at the API, the concepts and how to use it.
- Minecraft Projects - projects I have built using the API, such as:
- Minecraft - Hide and Seek - a really simple game of hide and seek for Minecraft.
- Minecraft - Snake - the class game Snake built in Minecraft
- Minecraft - Auto Bridge - an absolutely brilliant utility (even if I say so myself) which automatically creates a bridge in front of you, no more falling off cliffs, no more having to swim across oceans, the auto bridge allows you to walk straight on
- Minecraft - Massive Analogue Clock - big enough so you can walk on the arms