Nicholas Harris is a regular commenter and reader of the minecraft posts on <Stuff about="code" /> and he let me know that he was working on a program for minecraft, he also agreed to let me include a post about what he has done. Check out the Minecraft - API Basics comments section for a description of Nicholas's development.
Nicholas has pulled together one mother of a minecraft program which encompasses a load of different games, utilities and building tools. Including a script to create a horse, characters from the alphabet, a crazy utility which makes you fall through the earth and die, but perhaps most impressively 2 games of his own invention:
- Arena's starts with you stood in an empty room and the objective is to not fall to your death while the floor beneath you gradually disappears
- Dodge puts you at one end of a line of furnaces which spew there contents towards you and you have to stay out of the way.
They both show a great deal of originality and thought, not to mention coding skill.
If you fancy trying out Nicholas's program, follow the instructions below to download, setup and run.
Create a directory for the program
Download Nicholas's program
Copy the minecraft api python library
cp -r ~/mcpi/api/python/mcpi ~/minecraft-nicholas/minecraft
Start up Minecraft and run Nicholas's program
The program uses a command line interface to start up the games and utilities, so use:
- /help to give you a list of the commands
- /arena to start the arena game
- /dodgegame to start the dodge game.
I think its great when people take the initiative and create something cool off their own back and I couldn't be happier that the drivel I write is actually useful to someone!